Blue Ocean Strategy – One or Two Day Retreat
Blue Ocean Strategy (BOS) is emerging as the most significant development in strategic thinking since the era of competitive strategy began in the 1980s. Whereas many organisations’ strategic focus is on beating the competition in their existing markets, the most successful ones move beyond their traditional market boundaries to escape the fight for a share of a fixed market – and discover new untapped demand. Their innovations attract new customers with a quantum leap in value, but simultaneously deliver a sharp reduction in costs – thus creating the potential for high profit growth. Organisations such as Ford, Nintendo, Dell, Apple, Dyson, IBM, CNN, Casella Wines and Novo Nordisk have all successfully created and dominated new markets in this way.
Those who attend this retreat will gain an in-depth understanding of the tools and concepts of BOS so that they can develop Blue Ocean Strategies for their organisations.
The retreat uses a combination of lectures, discussions and a case study to take participants through an entire strategic planning process using the tools and concepts of BOS.
- Origins of strategy and BOS. Markets and the limits of competitive strategy.
- Creating new markets. Non-customers. 3-Tiers framework.
- Breaking the cost / value trade-off. 4-Action framework. Strategy Canvas.
- Types of innovation. Creating exceptional utility. Buyer Utility Map.
- Breaking industry conventional wisdom. 6-Paths framework.
- Business model. Strategic pricing. Target profits and costs. BOS Idea Index.
- Planning a BOS Initiative. Assessing profit growth potential. Project methodology.
By the end of the retreat, participants will have learned how to:
- Apply the central concepts and tools of BOS to their business.
- Create new demand and a new market in which competition is irrelevant.
- Understand the strategic logic that fuels profit growth, even in a poor market or a declining industry.
- Think beyond their industries’ conventional assumptions and adopt a growth-oriented, innovation-driven mindset.
- Search systematically for successful new business ideas.
- Minimise the risks traditionally associated with innovation.
- Indentify where best in an organisation to make high profit growth happen.
- Plan a BOS initiative in their own organisations.
Participants will receive summary BOS reference materials and have the opportunity to ask questions of a highly experienced Blue Ocean Strategist.
This retreat can be a full one or two day retreat dependant on how many points are to be covered, and more time till allow deep discussion of certain areas.