Boosting Your Media Strategy and Performance
Getting positive corporate publicity through the news media can be free, plentiful and sales-enhancing – when those at the top of companies know what they’re doing and have the right strategy in place. Michael Dodd uses his journalistic expertise to show how to find the newsworthy aspects in what companies do and to position senior people as thought leaders in the media. He shows how to plan and prepare to grab the attention of the news media on an ongoing basis. Michael guides participants on how to get positive messages across in media interviews – however tough the questions – and shows how this can be done in demonstration interviews with participants.
- Examples of good and bad media practice.
- How to think like journalists and public relations experts.
- Golden formulae behind impressive answers to tough questions.
- Designing or improving a media strategy to highlight the impressive things your company does.
- Prepare a defensive media strategy for when things go wrong.
- Practice interviews, playbacks and analysis to improve interview confidence and performance.
The workshop starts with a look at the media experience and approach of the participants and their companies. This ensures the workshop can be tailored to the precise individual needs of the group and pitched at the appropriate level. Examples are shown of how people and companies can make themselves look good or bad on television – governed by their performance in front of the camera. There’s a learning-by-doing approach so participants get to be interviewed, watch playbacks and be critiqued. Participants get to work on their own strategic plans for limiting the damage when bad news strikes and capitalising on free media opportunities to highlight the newsworthy things their companies do.
- Be able to develop or improve their strategic plan to identify positive, newsworthy things their company does.
- Know what to do when the media highlight something that’s gone wrong.
- Be able to get on the front foot and direct media attention towards their positive agenda.
- Know how to give impressive answers in soft and hard interviews.