Courses with Horses – Equine Facilitated Learning
LeadChange ‘Courses with Horses’ combine interactions with horses (on the ground – not horse riding) and non-directive coaching in powerful learning experiences, through which participants explore and expand their emotional intelligence, leadership, communication and influencing capabilities.
Interacting with horses at liberty (not on lead ropes) demands the same personal qualities that make for effective leadership in work and life – awareness, clarity, focus, intention, energy, empathy and influence.
There is a world of difference between knowing and doing. There is a gap between theory and practice; between awareness and action; between what we know and what we do. We move from knowing to doing when changes take place at a deep neurological level – through insights (‘aha’ moments) which create complex new neurological connections.
Leadership calls for a dynamic combination of self-awareness, multiple intelligences and highly developed interpersonal skills. Knowledge informs; skills are developed through practice – requiring an experiential approach which allows participants to observe and learn from the impact of their behaviour.
LeadChange holds up the mirror to leadership behaviours and facilitates rapid development of leadership skills. Interacting with horses, delegates come face to face with their personal leadership challenges and are coached to overcome them. The changes they make are reflected back instantly in a dramatic and memorable way by the response of the horses.
Sessions mix ‘classroom’ learning with time in an indoor arena with the horses. The whole group are engaged throughout either participating or observing.
- Why horses: Exploring the qualities of effective leadership and horsemanship.
- Creating your own reality: understanding self-awareness and mental maps.
- Insight and Aha moments: the neuroscience of how humans change.
- Intention and energy: LeadChange model of personal impact.
- Session with the horses: Groups of up to 7 leaders work with 1 horse and 1 facilitator to complete tasks and work on their personal leadership challenges both individually, and as a group. They are coached throughout to observe and learn from the impact of their own and others behaviour.
- Performing ‘in the zone’.
- Presence, impact and gravitas.
- Personal energy and focus.
- Non-verbal communication.
- Emotional awareness.
- Working with powerful intention.
- Inspiring and motivating others.
- Setting and maintaining clear boundaries.
- Operating with purpose, direction and conviction.
- Managing the task-relationship paradigm.
Can be run as a half day workshop and full day retreat.
We are geographically flexible so can run at locations convenient for groups. We have a network of horses and venues across the country all of which are carefully selected to adhere to our high standards from both a client experience and horse care perspective. The sessions are a mix of classroom and working with the horses in an indoor riding arena so we are not affected by weather conditions.