Performance Management Systems
Performance Management Systems: Why they fail and what to do about it.
This workshop gives participants an understanding of:
- How widespread the use of PM systems is.
- The theory behind the systems.
- How they actually work, with supposed advantages.
- Why they fail….usually around rating of behaviour.
- How and when to avoid failure.
- Overview of Performance Management Systems.
- Who uses them and why.
- Theory behind the system.
- Discussion of participants’ experience of PM systems and consideration of alternatives.
Exercise: participants rate a local restaurant on various criteria and discuss clarification of criteria for the business environment.
Discussion: on rating and measuring performance: the three rating types and their consequences, and how to improve the ratings.
Exercise: participants rate two people they know on pre-set forms; rating styles and suggestions for improvement are discussed.
Discussion: around ‘you can’t manage what you can’t measure’. How to overcome rating problems to ensure reliable and valid data. Suggestions about what can and should be done with performance data ie. Related to variable (bonus) pay, training, promotion etc.