Steer Your Ship through Uncertainty and Change
This workshop gives your members a perspective on the human element of managing a team in a rapidly changing, uncertain environment and how they can improve the example they set for all.
The key takeaways are delivered in a series of four narrative vignettes, each with a specific theme – Emotional Intelligence, Trust, Just Culture and Autonomy. After Brendan relates each story, the group is invited to discuss that theme in pairs and bring their thoughts to the plenary.
- “Building and maintaining trust is key to successfully navigating change.”
- “We all need to actively invite feedback – saying “my door is always open” is not enough.”
- “Leaders need to invite autonomy from their reports, which allows their team to stand to its full height.”
- “How you emotionally respond to failure, setback and disappointment will be emulated by your team.”
- “Your mood counts for at least 50% of the mood of your team.”
- “Only use blame in the event of gross negligence or malice – everything else is a learning opportunity.”
- “Mature leaders create a culture of ownership and strive to change from a heroic to servant leadership approach”
- “In uncertain times, the sound of success is honest conversation.”
Leading a Team that Thrives in Uncertainty
Brendan’s masterclass session is a mix of exciting sailing narrative and rich leadership insight.
He gives attendees a highly applicable, business-relevant tools and take-aways that will help them create teams that will thrive in uncertainty. With Brexit looming large on the horizon and industry disruption becoming the norm, how their business responds to uncertainty is a topic on every CEO’s mind.
Brendan’s objective is that attendees leave feeling inspired, reflective, and focused on making small, but powerful changes their leadership style and business culture using actionable tools.
Important Topics. Meaningful Reflections. Actionable Tools
Each section is 30 minutes speaking, followed by a 15 minute interactive element.
1.Emotional Intelligence: “Your attitude = Their attitude”
- What is the ‘Mood Shadow’ I cast over my business? How do my team perceive me?
- How do my words, tone and body language indicate when I’m at my best or at my worst?
- How to change my internal ‘self-talk’ when I’m at my worst.
2. Trust: “The trustworthiness of a business comes from the person leading the business”
- How do I ‘do’ intimacy with my team, clients and suppliers? How do I ‘make it personal’?
- What is the perception of my self-orientation? Is it undermining my trustworthiness?
- How to use the ‘Trust Equation’ to improve any trust deficits in my business.
3. Growth Mindset: “Develop a team culture without blame or fear, so the business learns the ‘hard lessons’….once”
- How do I respond to failure, setbacks and disappointment?
- What is the professional and reputational ‘cost’ for admitting mistakes my business culture?
- How to signpost a no-blame environment for feedback and debriefing.
4. Empowerment: “The role of a leader is not that of controlling puppet master, but that of a crafter of culture – to truly allow others to step up”
- How am I going to ‘loosen the control strings’ as a leader?
- Where am I worried there is not enough competence to warrant greater autonomy?
- How to use the linguistic trick of ‘returning questions unanswered’ to empower others.